Your employer has a legal duty to put measures in place that help keep you safe at work. If you suffer an injury on a construction site, find a construction accident lawyer near you to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
What is a Construction Accidents Lawyer?
A construction accident lawyer specializes in claims resulting from any accident suffered on a construction site and is an expert in labor laws. Construction accidents may include a wide range of incidents causing injuries, such as falling from heights or even wrongful death.
The claims are made out on the legal premise that an employer has a legal duty to provide a safe working environment for all their employees. Safety includes providing machinery in good condition that is fit for its purpose and includes regular risk assessments as part of an organizational occupational safety and health management plan.
What Does a Construction Accidents Attorney Do?
A construction accident attorney helps individuals who have suffered occupational accidents or families who have lost a loved one to a construction accident injury. The attorney works to help the victims secure the appropriate compensation.
When to Hire a Construction Accidents Lawyer?
If you or a loved one suffers injuries on a construction site, immediately after seeking the appropriate medical attention, get in touch with the best construction accidents lawyer near you.
Some construction site injuries that may occur include:
- Wrongful death;
- Welding and chemical burns;
- Scaffolding accident;
- Injuries from defective machinery;
- Crushing injuries;
- Fires and explosions causing injuries;
- Slip, trip, and work fall accidents;
- Excavation accidents;
- Being struck by objects that fall from heights;
- Exposure to poisonous or toxic substances; and
How Do I Choose a Construction Accidents Attorney?
A quick search on the internet using the words ‘construction accidents attorneys near you’ will surface a few firms for your consideration. Using online directories such as Lawrina, you can also get firms and attorneys based on your location.
After getting a handful, find client testimonials of how the attorney handles cases similar to yours. Next, contact a few attorneys to schedule an in-person visit to find out more about them and how they are likely to help you.
How Much Does the Construction Accidents Lawyer Average Cost?
A lawyer for construction accidents near you may not have a standard fee amount for handling construction accident claims. Some of the fee structures that your attorney may offer include:
- Contingency fee - A construction accident lawyer may opt to be paid through a contingency fee arrangement. Contingency fees usually range from 25 to 33 percent, with most attorneys asking for one-third (33%) of your compensation. If you agree to a contingency fee, ensure that you have in writing the percentage of your compensation money that your attorney will deduct to settle fees.
- Sliding scale contingency fee - An attorney may opt for a sliding scale contingency fee depending on the time and resources they will spend on your case. For instance, your attorney may offer a 33 percent contingency fee if your claim is settled out of court, 37 percent if your case goes to court, and 40 percent if the case goes to trial, resulting in a jury verdict.
Contingency fees may be advantageous because your legal team will only get paid if they win a settlement. For the most part, contingency fees work best because the clients in such cases are usually healing from an injury and therefore may be out of work and possibly short on cash.
However, construction accidents law lawyers near you may be willing to work for an hourly rate of $200 - $500 if the client can pay a retainer. Once the retainer is paid, an attorney will deduct payments and expenses until the retainer is depleted; then, the client is expected to replenish it.
Do Construction Accidents Attorneys Usually Charge for Consultations?
Accident attorneys rarely charge for an initial consultation. The lawyer will listen to your case during the consultation and advise on its merits. Give the lawyer all the information and documents required to understand your case thoroughly. The attorney will advise you on possible actions and give you details of the best legal strategy to use to recover compensation. You can use the opportunity to ask questions concerning the likely outcome of the matter and gauge the attorney's suitability.