Construction and building projects are typically a costly investment. Construction law is a specialist legal practice area that deals with any matters relating to building construction, infrastructure, engineering, and associated issues. The construction industry is governed by various legislation and includes subsets such as real estate law, commercial law, building planning law, and employment law. With so many different laws at play, this makes construction law a somewhat confusing area to navigate. If you or your organization or business is involved in construction projects or intends to start development, it is in your best interests to hire an experienced construction attorney near you to guide you through the process.
What Is a Construction Lawyer?
Construction lawyers are legal professionals that have special knowledge about construction law and experience in dealing with construction contracts and disputes. These specialized attorneys are knowledgeable on real estate and employment law, as well as any other relevant laws that relate to your project. Construction attorneys can provide advice on issues in relation to your construction contracts.
What Does a Construction Attorney Do?
Construction law attorneys possess the expertise to ensure that from planning to completion, your construction contract fully complies with state laws. They provide advice to their clients throughout the construction process on issues relating to defects, delays, regulatory guidelines, planning violations, risk management, bond claims, employment of construction workers, or any payment issues. Construction lawyers can also provide services to other key players in the wider construction industry, such as architects, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers of building materials.
When to Hire a Construction Lawyer?
There are many guidelines that need to be complied with in relation to construction projects. To ho help navigate all the rules and regulations, it is always advisable to hire a construction attorney near you, such as in the situations listed below:
- When you need to draft or are being requested to sign a construction contract — Seeking the advice of a construction attorney near you before you sign a construction contract will save you a lot of potential future trouble. The lawyer can advise on whether the terms are favorable to you and in compliance with federal and state laws.
- Where there is a threat of being sued — If an employee or passer-by is injured on your construction site or as a result of the construction you are involved in and is threatening to sue you, you should immediately seek the help of the best construction attorney near you to deal with this dispute on your behalf.
- Defective construction claims — Whether you are the one claiming a defect in a building or you need to defend a claim for defective work, you will certainly benefit from hiring a construction attorney who can help you to avoid costly litigation and settle the issue.
There are also many other reasons why you may choose to hire a construction lawyer other than those stated above. It is recommended that you first have a consultation with a lawyer for construction near you to get advice on how they can assist you in your circumstances. Construction attorneys are typically the most beneficial for large companies who have more to lose, even with the most minor mishaps.
How Do I Choose a Construction Attorney?
Given how much money construction projects can cost to build and be worth upon completion, it is always advisable to take your time and find the best construction lawyer near you to help you through the process. Here are a few factors to consider when you are hiring a construction lawyer near you:
- Knowledge — Construction law is a fusion of many different kinds of law, from commercial to employment and bankruptcy law. It is important to hire a legal professional that is knowledgeable in the particular fields that relate to your circumstances.
- Experience — As construction cases and projects vary, you should ensure that the lawyer you hire has experience in dealing with similar cases.
- Cost — Make sure the lawyer you choose to hire is within your budget. Before engaging them, enquire about estimated costs at your consultation. Building projects are generally costly, so it is important to factor in your potential legal costs before hiring any construction attorney near you.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Construction Lawyer?
Legal fees will depend on the law firm or lawyer you choose to work with and what city you are in. The average hourly rate for a construction attorney ranges from $250 to $500. The total legal fees you accrue by working with a construction lawyer will depend on the services and time required. If at all possible, you should seek an estimate of your total costs before proceeding.
Do Construction Lawyers Typically Charge For Consultation?
Construction attorneys near you will usually charge their standard hourly fee for a consultation. If the attorney’s hourly rate is $320, a one-hour initial consultation fee will cost $320 (subject to any taxes or disbursements that may be added to the hourly rate). It is also possible for a construction attorney to charge a fixed rate for the initial consultation rather than their hourly fee. Other construction lawyers near you may also offer free consultations, with ongoing fees dependent on the value of the project in question.