(1) on vessels owned, subsidized by, or contracted with the United States Government;
(2) on other documented vessels, with the permission of the owner;
(3) in shipyards or plants and with industrial or educational organizations; and
(4) on any other vessel considered by the Secretary to be necessary or appropriate or in the national interest.
(A) is flagged in the United States; and
(B) is rated at 10,000 gross tons or higher.
(1) the discretion of the Secretary to determine whether to place a United States Merchant Marine Academy cadet on a vessel;
(2) the authority of the Coast Guard regarding a vessel security plan approved under section 70103; or
(3) the discretion of the master of the vessel to ensure the safety of all crew members.
(Pub. L. 109–304, §8(b), Oct. 6, 2006, 120 Stat. 1574; Pub. L. 109–241, title III, §307, July 11, 2006, 120 Stat. 528; Pub. L. 110–181, div. C, title XXXV, §3525(a)(3), (b), Jan. 28, 2008, 122 Stat. 600, 601; Pub. L. 115–232, div. C, title XXXV, §3512, Aug. 13, 2018, 132 Stat. 2311; Pub. L. 116–283, div. C, title XXXV, §3506, Jan. 1, 2021, 134 Stat. 4405.)
|Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|51307||46 App.:1295b(f).||June 29, 1936, ch. 858, title XIII, §1303(f), as added Pub. L. 96–453, §2, Oct. 15, 1980, 94 Stat. 2002.|
In paragraph (2), the words "with the permission of the owner" are substituted for "if the owner . . . cooperates in such use" for clarity.
2021—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 116–283 added subsec. (b) and struck out former subsec. (b). Prior to amendment, text read as follows: "The Secretary shall require an operator of a vessel participating in the Maritime Security Program under chapter 531 of this title to carry on each Maritime Security Program vessel 2 United States Merchant Marine Academy cadets, if available, on each voyage."
2018—Pub. L. 115–232, §3512(1), (3), designated existing provisions as subsec. (a), inserted heading, and added subsecs. (b) to (e).
Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 115–232, §3512(2), substituted "owned, subsidized by, or contracted with" for "owned or subsidized by".
2008—Pub. L. 110–181, §3525(b), repealed Pub. L. 109–241, §307. See 2006 Amendment note below.
Par. (4). Pub. L. 110–181, §3525(a)(3), incorporated the substance of the amendment by Pub. L. 109–241, §307, into this section by adding par. (4). See 2006 Amendment note below and section 18(a) of Pub. L. 109–304, set out as a Legislative Purpose and Construction note preceding section 101 of this title.
2006—Pub. L. 109–241, §307, which directed the amendment of section 1295b(f) of the former Appendix to this title from which this section was derived, was repealed by Pub. L. 110–181, §3525(b). See 2008 Amendment note for par. (4) and Historical and Revision notes above.
Disclaimer: Lawrina maintains this website to enhance public access to information about its activities. We make an effort to keep the information about codes timely and accurate. Please note that we cannot guarantee that the U.S.C, Title 46, Section 51307 — Places of training — exactly reproduces the officially adopted text.