(1) a productive and healthy agricultural industry and a strong and active United States maritime industry are vitally important to the economic well-being and security of the United States;
(2) both industries must compete in international markets increasingly dominated by foreign trade barriers and the subsidization practices of foreign governments; and
(3) increased agricultural exports and the use of merchant vessels of the United States contribute positively to the United States balance of trade and generate employment opportunities in the United States.
(1) enable the Secretary of Agriculture to plan export programs effectively, by clarifying the ocean transportation requirements applicable to those programs;
(2) take immediate and positive steps to promote the growth of the cargo-carrying capacity of the United States merchant marine;
(3) expand international trade in United States agricultural commodities and products and develop, maintain, and expand markets for United States agricultural exports;
(4) improve the efficiency of administration of both the commodity purchasing and selling activities and the ocean transportation activities associated with export programs sponsored by the Secretary;
(5) stimulate and promote the agricultural and maritime industries of the United States and encourage cooperative efforts by both industries to address their common problems; and
(6) provide for the appropriate disposition of these findings and purposes.
|Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|55311||46 App.:1241d.||Pub. L. 99–198, title XI, §1141, Dec. 23, 1985, 99 Stat. 1490.|
In subsection (a)(1), the word "security" is substituted for "national security objectives" to eliminate unnecessary words.
In subsection (b), the words "Secretary of Agriculture" in paragraph (1) and "Secretary" in paragraph (4) are substituted for "Department of Agriculture" because all functions of the Department are vested in the Secretary under 7 U.S.C. 2202 and 6911 and Reorganization Plan No. 2 of 1953 (5 App. U.S.C.).
Disclaimer: Lawrina maintains this website to enhance public access to information about its activities. We make an effort to keep the information about codes timely and accurate. Please note that we cannot guarantee that the U.S.C, Title 46, Section 55311 — Findings and purposes — exactly reproduces the officially adopted text.