(1) guidelines for industry and State governments to obtain sufficient insurance coverage for potential damages to third parties;
(2) procedures for requesting and obtaining licenses to launch a commercial launch vehicle;
(3) procedures for requesting and obtaining operator licenses for launch;
(4) procedures for requesting and obtaining launch site operator licenses; and
(5) procedures for the application of government indemnification.
(1) procedures for requesting and obtaining licenses to reenter a reentry vehicle;
(2) procedures for requesting and obtaining operator licenses for reentry; and
(3) procedures for requesting and obtaining reentry site operator licenses.
(2)(A) Starting 3 years after the date of enactment of the Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act of 2004, the Secretary may issue final regulations changing the definition of suborbital rocket under this chapter. No such regulation may take effect until 180 days after the Secretary has submitted the regulation to the Congress.
(B) The Secretary may issue regulations under this paragraph only if the Secretary has determined that the definition in section 50902 does not describe, or will not continue to describe, all appropriate vehicles and only those vehicles. In making that determination, the Secretary shall take into account the evolving nature of the commercial space launch industry.
(2) As soon as practicable after the date of enactment of the Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act of 2004, the Secretary shall issue guidelines or advisory circulars to guide the implementation of that Act until regulations are issued.
(3) Notwithstanding paragraphs (1) and (2), no licenses for the launch or reentry of launch vehicles or reentry vehicles with human beings on board or permits may be issued starting three years after the date of enactment of the Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act of 2004 unless the final regulations described in subsection (c) have been issued.
(Added Pub. L. 105–303, title I, §102(a)(16), Oct. 28, 1998, 112 Stat. 2850, §70120 of title 49; amended Pub. L. 108–492, §2(c)(25), Dec. 23, 2004, 118 Stat. 3981; renumbered §70120 then §50922 of title 51 and amended Pub. L. 111–314, §4(d)(2), (3)(V), (5)(U), Dec. 18, 2010, 124 Stat. 3440–3442.)
The date of the enactment of this section, referred to in subsecs. (a) and (b), is the date of enactment of Pub. L. 105–303, which was approved Oct. 28, 1998.
The Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act of 2004, referred to in subsecs. (c) and (d), is Pub. L. 108–492, Dec. 23, 2004, 118 Stat. 3974, which was approved Dec. 23, 2004. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title of 2004 Act note set out under section 10101 of this title and Tables.
2010—Pub. L. 111–314, §4(d)(2), (3)(V), successively renumbered section 70120 of title 49 and section 70120 of this title as this section.
Subsec. (c)(2)(B). Pub. L. 111–314, §4(d)(5)(U), substituted "section 50902" for "section 70102".
2004—Subsecs. (c), (d). Pub. L. 108–492 added subsecs. (c) and (d).
Disclaimer: Lawrina maintains this website to enhance public access to information about its activities. We make an effort to keep the information about codes timely and accurate. Please note that we cannot guarantee that the U.S.C, Title 51, Section 50922 — Regulations — exactly reproduces the officially adopted text.