§ 820-1-1-.01. Organization
(1) The Office of the Secretary of State is established by the Constitution of the State of Alabama (Art. V, § 112, Ala. Constitution of 1901) and performs a wide variety of constitutional and statutory duties (Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 36-14 -1 et seq.)
(2) Requests for information may be submitted to the Office of the Secretary of State via several methods:
(a) By mail: Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 5616, Montgomery, Alabama 36103.
(b) By hand delivery: Office of the Secretary of State, 600 Dexter Avenue, Suite S-105, Montgomery, Alabama 36130.
(c) By telephone: (334) 242-7200.
(d) By internet: http://www.sos.alabama.gov.
(3) Organization. The Secretary of State has the authority and latitude to organize the office in a manner the Secretary deems appropriate for accomplishing these duties. The following depicts the organization serving under the Secretary of State's direction:
(a) The Secretary of State may appoint two assistants and exempt employees as follows:
1. A Confidential Assistant to the Secretary of State pursuant to Code of Ala. 1975, § 36-26 -10 (c)(1).
2. An Executive Assistant to the Secretary of State pursuant to Code of Ala. 1975, § 36-14 -16.
3. Two additional exempt employees pursuant to Code of Ala. 1975, § 36-26 -10 (b) (10) .
(b) Divisions operating under the direction of the Secretary of State include the following:
1. Executive Division.
2. Business Service Division
3. Government Support Division.
4. Authentications/Lands and Trademarks Division.
5. Elections Division.
6. Finance Division.
7. Information Systems Division.
(4) Bad Checks.
(a) If the Secretary of State's Office receives a check or negotiable instrument that is dishonored by the institution upon which it is drawn (hereinafter "bad check"), the Secretary of State's Office may charge a bad check fee as provided for in Code of Ala. 1975, § 8-8 -15. The fee to be charged shall be the maximum allowed by law.
(b) If the Secretary of State's Office receives a bad check, the Office shall provide notice to the person making, drawing, uttering, or delivering the instrument in accordance with Code of Ala. 1975, § 13A-9-13.2.(New Rule: Filed January 10, 2001; effective February 14, 2001. Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXIV, Issue No. 01, October 30, 2015, eff. November 24, 2015. Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXIV, Issue No. 09, June 30, 2016, eff. July 18, 2016.)
Authors: Charles E. Grainger, Jr.; William Sutton; Jean Brown
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 41-22 -4, 36-26-10, 36-14-16, 8-8-15, 13A-9-13.1, 13A-9-13.2.
Disclaimer: At Lawrina, we make every effort to update our content to match the latest officially adopted text. However, we cannot guarantee this page contains the most up-to-date information as amendments to the official sources may have been made. Please refer to the official sources for Section 820-1-1-.01 Organization for the most accurate material.