§ 850-X-2-.04. Telehealth
(1) An individual who provides social work via telehealth to a client located in Alabama shall have an active license in the State of Alabama and be in good standing with the Board and shall comply with the standards of professional conduct and ethics, section 850-X-9-.01 of the administrative code.
(2) Upon initiation of telehealth services, a licensee shall
(a) Obtain informed consent from the client. The consent shall be documented.
(b) Assess whether the client is appropriate for telehealth.
(c) Utilize best practices for telehealth to ensure both client confidentiality and the security of the communication.
(3) The client must be located within the borders of the State of Alabama.
(4) The licensee shall ensure that the electronic communication is secure to maintain confidentiality of the client's health information as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
(5) A licensee who uses telehealth to provide services shall make reasonable effort to become and remain knowledgeable about the advantages and drawbacks of professional online relationships.(Adopted by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXVIII, Issue No. 02, November 29, 2019, eff. January 13, 2020.)
Author: Alabama Board of Social Work Examiners
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, § 34-30-57(6) (1991).
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is consistently reviewed to ensure accuracy. However, we cannot guarantee that Section 850-X-2-.04 Telehealth is updated to the latest version. Please refer to official resources to confirm information accuracy.