§ 850-X-3-.01. Board Approved Supervisor's Qualifications
(1) To obtain status as a board approved supervisor a licensee must be actively licensed and in good standing by the board as an LBSW, a LMSW, a LICSW and meet the requirements of this section. An application form for board approved supervisor status must be submitted to the board (Form A). A LBSW must have five years post licensure practice experience and LMSW supervisor must have three years post licensure practice experience. A LICSW supervisor can provide supervision upon obtaining the clinical license. The board approved supervisor shall supervise only those supervisees who provide services that fall within the supervisor's own competency.
(2) The board approved supervisor is responsible for the social work information provided within the supervisor plan.
(3) The board approved supervisor must have completed a supervisor's training program acceptable to the board.
(4) The board approved supervisor must complete three hours of continuing education every biennium in supervision theory, skills, strategies, and/or evaluation.
(5) The board approved supervisor must designate at each license renewal that he/she wishes to continue board approved supervisor status.
(6) The board approved supervisor must submit required documentation and fees to the board as listed in 850-X-5-.02 of this title relating to Fees.
(7) When a licensee is designated as a board approved supervisor, he or she may perform the following supervisory functions:
(a) A LICSW supervisor may supervise clinical experience toward the LICSW license, or non-clinical experience towards the LMSW, or LBSW, a licensee under provisional status, or board ordered supervision.
(b) A LMSW with three years post licensure experience who is a board approved supervisor may supervise a LBSW's or LMSW's non-clinical experience.
(c) A LBSW with five years post licensure experience who is a board approved supervisor may supervise a LBSW's experience.
(8) On receiving the licensee's application to be a board approved supervisor, as well as fee and verification of qualifications, the board will issue a letter notifying the licensee that the licensee is a board approved supervisor.
(9) The approved supervisor must renew the supervisor status in conjunction with the licensure renewal cycle. The approved supervisor may surrender supervisory status by documenting the choice on the appropriate board renewal form. If a licensee who has surrendered supervisory status desires to regain supervisory status, the licensee must reapply and meet the current requirements for board approved supervisor status.(Repealed and Replaced: Filed October 31, 1997; Operative December 5, 1997; effective January 1, 1998 (See Rule 850-X-1-.19). Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXIV, Issue No. 12, September 30, 2016, eff. October 30, 2016. Adopted by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXVIII, Issue No. 12, September 30, 2020, eff. November 14, 2020.)
Author: Alabama Board of Social Work Examiners
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, § 34-30-22 (1996 Supp.); § 34-30-29 (1991); § 34-30-57(6) (1991).
Disclaimer: At Lawrina, we make every effort to update our content to match the latest officially adopted text. However, we cannot guarantee this page contains the most up-to-date information as amendments to the official sources may have been made. Please refer to the official sources for Section 850-X-3-.01 Board Approved Supervisor's Qualifications for the most accurate material.