§ 880-X-10G-.05. Soil Replacement
(1) Prime farmland soil shall be reconstructed to meet the specifications established by the U.S. Soil Conservation Service for the State of Alabama. Including at a minimum the specified physical and chemical characteristics of the reconstructed soil and soil horizon depths, soil densities, soil pH and other specifications such that the reconstructed soil will have the capability of achieving levels of yield equal to or higher than those of non-mined prime farmland in the surrounding areas.
(2) The minimum depth of soil and substitute soil material to be reconstructed shall be 48 inches, or a lesser depth equal to the depth to a subsurface horizon in the natural soil that inhibits or prevents root penetration, or a greater depth if determined necessary to restore the original soil productive capacity. Soil horizon shall be considered as inhibiting or preventing root penetration if their physical or chemical properties or water supplying capacities cause them to restrict or prevent penetration by roots of plants common to the vicinity of the permit area and if these properties or capacities have little or no beneficial effect on soil productive capacity.
(3) The operator shall replace and regrade the soil horizons or the root zone material with proper compaction and uniform depth.
(4) The operator shall replace the B horizon, C horizon or other suitable materials specified in Section 880-X-10G-.04 to the thickness needed to meet the requirements of paragraph (2) of this Rule. In those areas where the B or C horizons were not removed but may have been compacted or otherwise damaged during the mining operation, the operator shall engage in deep tilling or other appropriate means to restore premining capabilities.
(5) The operator shall replace the topsoil or other suitable soil material specified in Rule 880-X-10G-.04(3)(a) as the final soil surface layer. This surface soil layer shall equal or exceed the thickness of the original surface soil layer as determined by the soil survey.
Author: Randall C. Johnson(Original Filed November 14, 1989; effective: March 7, 1991; Amended: September 18, 1990; effective: August 2, 1991.)
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, § 9-16-71, et seq.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is consistently reviewed to ensure accuracy. However, we cannot guarantee that Section 880-X-10G-.05 Soil Replacement is updated to the latest version. Please refer to official resources to confirm information accuracy.