§ 880-X-8M-.07. Permit Renewals
(1) General. A valid permit, issued pursuant to an approved regulatory program, shall carry with it the right of successive renewal, within the approved boundaries of the existing permit, upon expiration of the term of the permit.
(2) Application requirements and procedures.
(a) An application for renewal of a permit shall be filed with the Regulatory Authority at least 120 days before expiration of the existing permit term.
(b) An application for renewal of a permit shall be in the form required by the Regulatory Authority and shall include at a minimum --
1. The name and address of the permittee, the term of the renewal requested, and the permit number or other identifier;
2. Evidence that a liability insurance policy or adequate self-insurance under Chapter 880-X-9 will be provided by the applicant for the proposed period of renewal;
3. Evidence that the performance bond in effect for the operation will continue in full force and effect for any renewal requested, as well as any additional bond required by the regulatory authorities pursuant to Chapter 880-X-9;
4. A copy of the proposed newspaper notice and proof of publication of same, as required by Section 880-X-8K-.05; and
5. Additional revised or updated information required by the Regulatory Authority.
(c) Applications for renewal shall be subject to the requirements of public notification and public participation contained in Section 880-X-8K-.05 and Section 880-X-8K-.12.
(d) If an application for renewal includes any proposed revisions to the permit, such revisions shall be identified and subject to the requirements of Section 880-X-8M-.06.
(3) Approval Process.
(a) Criteria for approval. The Regulatory Authority shall approve a complete and accurate application for permit renewal, unless it finds, in writing that --
1. The terms and conditions of the existing permit are not being satisfactorily met;
2. The present surface coal mining and reclamation operations are not in compliance with the environmental protection standards of the Act and the regulatory program;
3. The requested renewal substantially jeopardizes the operator's continuing ability to comply with the Act and the regulatory program on existing permit areas;
4. The operator has not provided evidence of having liability insurance as required in Chapter 880-X-9;
5. The operator has not provided evidence that any performance bond required to be in effect for the operation will continue in full force and effect for the proposed period of renewal, as well as any additional bond the Regulatory Authority might require pursuant to Chapter 880-X-9; or
6. Additional revised or updated information required by the Regulatory Authority has not been provided by the applicant.
(b) Burden of proof. In the determination of whether to approve or deny a renewal of a permit, the burden of proof shall be on the opponents of renewal.
(4) Renewal term. Any permit renewal shall be for a term not to exceed the period for the original permit established under 880-X-8K-.12.
(5) Notice of decision. The Regulatory Authority shall send copies of its decision to the applicant, to each person who filed comments or objections on the renewal, to each party to any informal conference held on the permit renewal, and to OSM if OSM is not the Regulatory Authority.
(6) Administrative and judicial review. Any person having an interest which is or may be adversely affected by the decision of the Regulatory Authority shall have the right to administrative and judicial review set forth in Subchapter 8L.
Author: Randall C. Johnson(Original Filed November 14, 1989; effective March 7, 1991.)
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 9-16-71et seq.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is consistently reviewed to ensure accuracy. However, we cannot guarantee that Section 880-X-8M-.07 Permit Renewals is updated to the latest version. Please refer to official resources to confirm information accuracy.