§ 894-X-1-.01. Description Of The Alabama Stonewall Jackson Memorial Fund
(1) The Stonewall Jackson Memorial Fund is a non-expendable trust fund established by the Alabama Legislature in 1955, as Act No. 529. The purpose of the fund, as established in the legislation, is "to memorialize that great American and Confederate general, 'Stonewall' Jackson, through a program of education initiated by Stonewall Jackson Memorial, Incorporated, including both essay contests and scholarships."
(2) The enabling legislation established a Board of Trustees for the Fund and specified that the members be the Alabama Superintendent of Education, the Director of the Alabama Department of Archives and History, and the President of the Stonewall Jackson Memorial, Incorporated.
(3) The program is publicized through the Alabama high school guidance counselors and through available teacher e-mail lists. The program coordinator sends notices of the program each year in January.
(4) The enabling legislation provided that the fund be used to award re-payable scholarships to Alabama students.
(5) Agency Contact: To obtain information or to make submissions or requests, contact the Public Services Division of the Alabama Department of Archives and History, 624 Washington Avenue, PO Box 300100, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100, Telephone (334) 242-4363.(New Rule: Filed November 10, 2009; effective December 15, 2009.)
Author: Steve Murray, Assistant Director, Alabama Department of Archives and History
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, § 16-32-1
Disclaimer: This content is regularly reviewed to ensure the information is current and accurate. However, Section 894-X-1-.01 Description Of The Alabama Stonewall Jackson Memorial Fund may have been updated since our last review. For the latest version of all legislation, please check the official resources.