§ 950-1-13-.01. General Administration
(1) The Agency operating the short-term detention facility is a legal entity or part of a legal entity.
(2) The short-term detention meets applicable requirements of the Alabama Department of Youth Services.
(3) The Facility has a written statement that describes the philosophy, goals, and purposes of the Facility. This statement is reviewed annually and updated as needed.
(4) Written Policy and Procedure provide guidelines for the collection and retention of information pertaining to the detained juveniles.
(5) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice provide that if services for adult and juvenile offenders are provided by the same Agency, written statement or philosophy, Policy, program, and Procedure distinguish between criminal codes and the statutes that establish and give direction to programs for juveniles.
(6) Written Policy prohibits the confinement of any offender in the Facility unless it is clearly shown that secure placement is essential.
(7) Written Policy and Procedure provide that the Facility and its operation are managed by single administrative officer to whom all employees are responsible.
(8) Written Policy and Procedure demonstrated that employees participate in the formulation of policies, procedures, and practices.
(9) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice provide that the facility administrator cooperates with the Interstate Compact Administrator, pursuant to the provisions of the Interstate Compact of Juveniles.
(10) The qualifications for the facility administrator include at a minimum, a bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and two years of related administrative experience.
(11) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice provide that the term of office of the facility administrator and appointed personnel not covered by merit systems, civil service regulations, or union contracts is continuous and can be terminated by the appointing authority only for good cause and, if requested, following a formal Hearing on specific charges.
(12) The policies and procedures for operating the Facility are specified in a manual that is accessible to all employees and the public. This manual is reviewed at least annually and updated as needed.
(13) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice provide that new or revised policies and procedures are disseminated to appropriate staff and volunteers and, when appropriate, juveniles prior to implementation.
(14) Regular meetings between the facility administrator and all staff members are to be conducted at least monthly.
(15) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice provide for a system of two-way communications between all levels of staff and juveniles
(16) The Governing Authority holds meetings at least annually with the facility administrator.
(17) In accordance with written Policy, Procedure, and practice the short-term detention facility grants representatives of the media access to the Facility consistent with preserving the juveniles' right to privacy and maintaining order and security.
(18) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice specify the circumstances and methods for the facility administrator and other staff to obtain legal assistance as needed in the performance of their duties.
(19) There is a written Policy, Procedure, and practice service personnel other than Facility staff perform work in the Facility only under direct and continuous supervision of facility staff in those areas permitting contact with juveniles.(New Rule: Filed December 17, 2004; effective January 21, 2005. Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXVII, Issue No. 02, November 30, 2018, eff. December 21, 2018.)
Author: Alabama Department of Youth Services, Office of Licensing and Standards
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 44-1-27(a)(b), 44-1-24(4)(6), 38-13-4.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is consistently reviewed to ensure accuracy. However, we cannot guarantee that Section 950-1-13-.01 General Administration is updated to the latest version. Please refer to official resources to confirm information accuracy.