§ 950-1-13-.12. Security And Control
(1) Space is provided for monitoring and coordinating the facility's security, safety, and communications system. The area should provide access to wash basin and toilet.
(2) There is a manual containing all Procedures for facility security and control, with detailed instructions for implementing these Procedures. The manual is available to all staff and is reviewed at least annually and updated as needed. (MANDATORY)
(3) The Facility maintains a daily report on juvenile population and movement.
(4) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice require staff to maintain a permanent log and prepare shift reports that record routine information, emergency situations, and unusual incidents. (MANDATORY)
(5) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice require at least weekly inspection and maintenance of all Security Devices and corrective action is initiated when necessary. (MANDATORY)
(6) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice provide that instruments of restraint, such as handcuffs, leg irons, and straight jackets, are never applied as punishment and are applied only with the approval of the facility director. (MANDATORY)
(7) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice govern the control and use of keys.
(8) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice govern the use of personal vehicles for official purposes and include provisions for insurance coverage.
(9) Written Policy, Procedure, and practice require that personnel who use force to control juveniles submit written reports to the facility director no later than the conclusion of the tour of duty.
(10) Firearms are not permitted in the Facility except in emergency situations.(New Rule: Filed December 17, 2004; effective January 21, 2005. Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXVII, Issue No. 02, November 30, 2018, eff. December 21, 2018.)
Author: Alabama Department of Youth Services, Office of Licensing and Standards
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 44-1-27(a)(b), 44-1-24(4) (6), 38-13-4.
Disclaimer: This content is regularly reviewed to ensure the information is current and accurate. However, Section 950-1-13-.12 Security And Control may have been updated since our last review. For the latest version of all legislation, please check the official resources.