§ 950-1-13-.09. Housing
(1) Cells are primarily designed for single occupancy, and provide a minimum of thirty-five square feet of unencumbered floor space per occupant.
(2) Each cell has at a minimum the following facilities and conditions:
(a) sanitation facilities, including access to toilet facilities that are available without staff assistance twenty-four hours a day
(b) a wash basin with hot and cold running water
(c) a bed and mattress
(d) natural light
(e) temperatures that are appropriate to the summer and winter comfort zones
(3) In co-ed facilities, male and female juveniles must be housed in separate cells, the Facility design must provide for separation and privacy of male and female resident. (MANDATORY)
(4) Juvenile has access to operable shower with temperature controlled hot and cold running water. (MANDATORY)
(5) At a minimum ratio of one shower for every eight juveniles. Water for showers is thermostatically controlled to temperatures ranging from 100-120 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure the safety of juveniles and promote hygienic practices.
(6) Handicapped juveniles are housed in a manner that provides for their safety and security.
(7) Any time the Facility houses a female juvenile, female staff must provide direct supervision.(New Rule: Filed December 17, 2004; effective January 21, 2005. Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXVII, Issue No. 02, November 30, 2018, eff. December 21, 2018.)
Author: Alabama Department of Youth Services, Office of Licensing and Standards
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 44-1-27(a)(b), 44-1-24(4)(6), 38-13-4.
Disclaimer: Although Lawrina works hard to ensure the information on this page is accurate and timely, we take no responsibility for deviations from the official text. Section 950-1-13-.09 Housing may have been updated since our last review. Please refer to official resources for the most accurate information.