§ 950-3-1-.02. Procedure For Release
(1) Request for review of a youth being considered for release along with written justification/documentation should be forwarded to the committee or team in advance of the proposed release date.
(2) The following materials and written information may accompany the request for release review:
(a) Academic achievements including pre and post-testing along with educational recommendations from teacher or principal. (If youth has not been involved in academic training, this may be noted.)
(b) Vocational achievement and recommendation if youth has been placed in this training area.
(c) Behavioral changes which reflect youth's adjustment in respective programs. Data may report both positive and negative response to program assignments, approved temporary absences, disciplinary reports, AWOL'S, out of assigned area, escapes, relationship to peers and staff, health/mental health status, etc.
(d) Aftercare recommendations or plans for youth upon release, plans for employment and living arrangements, school enrollment, etc., should be included, if known.
(3) Upon receipt of the written justification by the committee, a release hearing date will be established to review the request and to discuss all factors relating to the release. Release hearings will be held at regularly scheduled times, for example at Mt. Meigs Campus on the second and fourth Thursday of each month and at Vaccaon the second and fourth Wednesday of each month.
(4) When a youth is determined by the professional staff assigned to the youth to have substantially completed his or her individual service plan, staff determines whether the youth is eligible for release consideration.
(5) A letter is mailed at least thirty (30) days in advance notifying the court and the youth is scheduled for a release review by the Administrator of Institutional Services. Within two (2) weeks a justification for release and certificate of completion is sent to the committing court. No youth shall be released unless notice is received by the Court at least ten (10) days in advance.
(6) Upon appearing before the committee and receiving approval to proceed with release, the youth's release documentation is submitted for processing to the Deputy Director of Institutional Services prior to the date of release.
(7) After notice to the committing court, the subject youth is immediately released into the aftercare of the committing court. The committing court may determine terms and conditions of aftercare. When a committed youth has fulfilled his period of commitment, he or she shall be discharged from the department's custody, and any recommitment to the department must be based on a new offense and a new hearing.
(8) When the director determines that a particular youth has gained optimal rehabilitation from the programs of the department, such youth may be discharged without aftercare. The youth will not be received again by the department under the original commitment order.(Amended by Alabama Administrative Monthly Volume XXXVII, Issue No. 02, November 30, 2018, eff. December 21, 2018.)
Author: Department of Youth Services
Statutory Authority: Title 44, Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 44-1-2(1); 44-1-24(6); 44-1-36(d); 44-1-36(f); 12-15-1(2).
Disclaimer: At Lawrina, we make every effort to update our content to match the latest officially adopted text. However, we cannot guarantee this page contains the most up-to-date information as amendments to the official sources may have been made. Please refer to the official sources for Section 950-3-1-.02 Procedure For Release for the most accurate material.