§ I-1520. Withholding by Professional Athletic Teams
Nonresident-any person not domiciled, residing in, or having a permanent place of abode in Louisiana.
Professional Athletic Team-a member team of a professional sports association or league.
Team Member-shall include those employees of a professional athletic team who are active players, players on the disabled list, and any other persons required to travel and who travels with and perform services on behalf of a professional athletic team on a regular basis. This definition includes, but is not limited to, coaches, managers, and trainers.
B. Withholding Requirement for Nonresident Team Members
1. Professional Athletic Teams Not Domiciled in Louisiana
a. Any professional athletic team that is not domiciled in Louisiana and that pays compensation to a nonresident individual for services rendered to the team within Louisiana shall be deemed to be an employer making payment of wages and shall be required to withhold Louisiana individual income tax from that portion of the compensation for services rendered to the team attributable to duty days spent in Louisiana, as defined in LAC 61:I.1304.I, for each game played in Louisiana.
b. This Section does not alter the professional athletic team's withholding requirements for team members who are residents of Louisiana. The withholding for these team members must be as provided for in R.S. 47:111.
2. Professional Athletic Teams with a Louisiana Domicile. Professional athletic teams that are domiciled in Louisiana must withhold for all team members as provided for in R.S. 47:111.
3. This Section does not alter any professional athletic team member's requirement to file the income tax schedule required under LAC 61:I.1305.
C. Rate of Withholding. The withholding tax rate under this Section shall be 4.2 percent of the compensation attributable to "duty days" spent in Louisiana.
D. Due Date of Withholding Return and Payment. A withholding payment must be submitted for each game played in Louisiana. The payment must be submitted on or before the last day of the month following the month in which the game was played. A withholding return must be submitted for each quarter in which a game was played in Louisiana to reconcile all payments made within that quarter. The withholding return must be submitted quarterly on or before the last day of the month following the quarter in which the game was played.
E. Account Numbers
1. Each professional athletic team not domiciled in Louisiana will be issued an identification number by the department.
2. The professional athletic team filing the withholding return must be clearly identified by name, address and Louisiana revenue account identification number. The team's federal employer identification number will not be accepted as a substitute. The withholding return will not be considered complete unless the team's Louisiana revenue account identification number is on the return.
1. All professional athletic teams that pay compensation to a nonresident individual for services rendered to the team within Louisiana must submit an annual withholding reconciliation schedule that includes a list of all team members who received Louisiana source income during the year. The list must include the following information:
a. the name, Social Security number, and permanent physical address of all team members regardless of residency, and
b. for each nonresident team member:
i. the total number of duty days spent with the team during the taxable year;
ii. the number of duty days spent in Louisiana;
iii. the total amount of compensation for services rendered to the team;
iv. the amount of compensation for services rendered to the team in Louisiana; and
v. the total amount deducted and withheld under this Section.
2. The annual reconciliation schedule is due on or before the first business day following February 27 of each year for the preceding calendar year. The secretary may grant a reasonable extension of time, not exceeding 30 days for the filing of the annual reconciliation schedule. The annual reconciliation schedule is not considered to be remitted until it is complete.
3. The permanent address listed on the annual reconciliation schedule will be presumed to be the residence of the team member for purposes of administering the Sports Facility Assistance Fund.
G. Penalty for Failure to Timely Remit Schedules and Payments
1. The following penalties will be imposed for failure to timely remit these returns, schedules, and payments.
a. In the case of failure to timely remit any return or schedule required by this Section, the penalty shall be $500 for the first such failure, $1,000 for the second such failure within the three-year period beginning on the due date of the first delinquent return or schedule, and $2,500 for each subsequent failure within the three-year period beginning on the due date of the first delinquent return or schedule.
b. In the case of failure to timely remit any payment required by this Section, the penalty shall be 5 percent of the total payment due if the delinquency is for not more than 30 days, with an additional 5 percent for each additional 30 days or fraction thereof during which the delinquency continues, not to exceed 50 percent of the amount due.
H. Exception to Withholding Requirement under This Section
1. The secretary may grant an exception to withholding requirements under this Section to any professional athletic team not domiciled in Louisiana that agrees in writing to file team composite returns and remit composite payments as provided in LAC 61:I.1304.J.
2. The composite return and composite payment will be considered to be a return and payment required by the secretary to administer the provisions of the Sports Facility Assistance Fund.
3. This agreement will be binding on the secretary and the professional athletic team until it is revoked. Either party may revoke this agreement.(Promulgated by the Department of Revenue, Policy Services Division, LR 30:91 (January 2004), amended LR 39:104 (January 2013), repromulgated LR 39:330 (February 2013).)
AUTHORITY NOTE: Adopted in accordance with R.S. 39:100.1, R.S. 47:164(D), R.S. 47:295, R.S. 47:1511, R.S. 47: 114 and R.S. 47:1602.1.
Disclaimer: Throughout this page, you will find links to external websites. While we make every effort to ensure the information on our page is up to date, we hold no responsibility for variation between the official content Section I-1520 Withholding by Professional Athletic Teams found on these external sites and our text.